Social Icons

Perfect Sense (2011)

Perfect Sense marks the lovely Eva Green's fourth consecutive independent film, giving me something three years ago I never would have thought possible... a love for independent films... well at least the ones she's in!  Much like the rather bizarre plot-lines of Franklyn, Cracks and Womb, Perfect Sense throws the viewer into a thought provoking scenario and forces them to witnesses how the main characters and humanity cope.


The film focuses on Michael (Ewan McGregor) and Susan (Eva Green), two similar selfish individuals who meet each other on the brink of a pandemic.  Susan is a scientist who is at the forefront of investigating a new strange disease that causes a person to incur a sudden fit of depression followed by the disappearance of their sense of smell, and the eventual loss of other senses.  Michael is a chef in the restaurant across the street from her apartment.  Their casual meeting will spark a relationship that will be tested by each other's past inability to cope with change and sudden personal devastation.  Can two people who've only known what it's like to care about themselves have a relationship in the mist of a worldwide pandemic that is slowly bringing the human race to extinction one sense at a time?


To put it lightly Perfect Sense is a pretty depressing film, as it chronicles the progressing handicapping of the human race in probably the worst way possible, one sense at a time.  In a way it shows how eventually mankind would adapt to losing their sense of smell, taste, hearing and how after riots and mass panic eventually life would carry on until the eventual last sense vanished and there was only darkness.  But if you want to look at the glass half full instead of empty Perfect Sense does kind of help to make you realize what is truly important in life, as it did for Michael and Susan, that is even through turmoil their relationship and love for one another helped them deal with their inevitable demise.


For me the shear subject matter of the film kept me interested, to say I was entertained is a bit of a stretch considering the plot of the film.  It keeps you guessing, where is this going?  How did this happen?  How is it all going to end?  After a while it's pretty easy to assume where's it's all going and it becomes more about the characters and the ultimate meaning of the film.  As a whole it's well written, it manages to shock a few times, and definitely leaves a lasting impression.  Both main characters put forth a good performance, Eva Green is great as always but not as impressive as she was in Cracks, still her piercing glaces and emotional raw talent once again made a film I normally wouldn't even have thought about watching worth it.  


But unlike Green's previous two films I felt Perfect Sense deserved a slightly higher rating, on the basis that everyone can in someway relate to this film, it will strike an emotional chord.  The trailer alone gives me chills.  Whereas her previous two independent outings where simply interesting in their own bizarre way, Perfect Sense sort of forces you to reflect on your own life, who and what is important.  Definitely worth checking out if your a fan of McGregor or Green, or into the rather depressing independent genre.


8/10

1 comment:

  1. Excellent review, I saw this film this weekend by pure curiosity, and my love for independent films. With independent films, I get more out of the movie than in a Hollywood blockbuster. I could not move after the end of the film. I sat there trying to imagine reality unfolding all around me; outstanding. My passion for movies brings me comfort on my frequent business trips for Dish, filling long hours in airports with alternate realities. I take pride writing about the films I see because of how they inspire me. I found that by subscribing to Blockbuster @Home I could stream new movies to my laptop and be enchanted anywhere I’m traveling. Unleashing my feelings on blogs, and through private writing gives me a feeling of freedom especially when the topic captures me like “Perfect Sense”.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...