Social Icons

Kingdom of Heaven (2005)

 Originally Reviewed
Friday May 6, 2005
[the following is the 2nd review I wrote back in 2005 (when my early reviews where more rants than actual reviews), instead of completely rewriting it I've decided to polish it up as best I can and leave it in it's original form, which should explain the vast difference in quality and the numerous references to other 2005 films.]

Kingdom of Heaven is another one of those occassions when I think to myself, are the "professional" critics watching the same film or have the crap-load of raunchy teen comedies and over-the-top action films damaged their brain cells to the point where they finally see a good film they have nothing good to say about it?!

Kingdom of Heaven is one of the best films I have seen this year [2005], and when I discovered it received such a low rating by the critics I was sick. The constant theme runs through their ranted whines, the story is too boring. They must have drank a bottle of NyQuil before sitting down to view is, how else could a film that has almost double the action of Gladiator be considered boring?  Kingdom of Heaven is the story of Balian (Orlando Bloom), a blacksmith who is enlists in a journey with his estranged father Godfrey (Liam Neeson) and becomes a crusader for the King of Jerusalem in an attempt to prevent the cities reoccupation by the Muslims.

Unlike the critics, I thought Orlando Bloom did a great job in the role of Balian and found him to be much more believable and entertaining than his character of Legolas the Elf in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  Again I think the issue is the critics don't appreciate a good film, or simply can't stomach anymore historical based epics. Even as a fan of Gladiator I can honestly say there were a lot more boring "talking scenes" in that epic than there were here.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Kingdom of Heaven is going to be a box office hit, with Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith coming out in about a week, but hopefully it will top the charts this week. And to all the critics and viewers who said this film was boring, maybe you should go watch House of Wax with Paris Hilton, a movie probably more geared to your intelligence level, and low attention span. People are spending too much time watching Astin Kutcher films to be able to tell when a good film comes out, and its annoying.

Check out my review of the Director's Cut which highlights all the added scenes.

9/10

7 comments:

  1. If I remember correctly, you and I have talked a few times before about this epic so you know my opinion. I also liked it and I didn't find it overly boring although there are moments when it's a bit slow. What I liked in it is some special atmosphere, some special vibe, which wasn't easy to be accomplished having in mind barren land, desert and sand all around. Orlando was rather good in it. It's true that the movie would've looked different with someone else in his role, but he was charismatic and mysterious enough. The only thing I didn't like was Eva Green, but I won't elaborate since I know how much you luuuuv her :))
    The music was also amazing, THE LIGHT OF LIFE by Natacha Atlas - one of the best oriental melodies in movie history.
    And I found Edward Norton a bit strange because his voice doesn't fit the story and the settings, but there was something gentle and soft in his tone which made us love his character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dezmond - yes the music in this film was amazing, in fact I like it more than Gladiator's soundtrack so it probably ranks among my Top 5. Personally I loved the cast and thought everyone was well picked for their role, even Eva and that was before I "loved her"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post and so it is suprising that you and DEZ go on about the soundtrack ... especially because of THAT song...

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. @simon - I don't have one particular song, I simply enjoyed the entire soundtrack, and just because a track might have been used in another film, or more than likely a variation of a track, doesn't mean it can't work. How many films have ripped off the main Gladiator track? A lot. Pirates of the Caribbean's main track is a variation rip off of Gladiator!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Simon
    I always pay attention to the music in movies, and since I'm from the Balkans I especially like the music in epics since it is usually very rich, oriental, lyrical and very profound. THE LIGHT OF LIGHT carries a very refined emotion in its melody and in the magical voice of the singer.
    Answer, already knows this because I talked about it with him before, but most Hollywood epics feature the voices, instruments and melodies from the Balkans because we have very emotional ancient music which is perfectly suited for chatarsic scenes in epics and historical films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think it was anything special but the fact that it is directed by Ridley Scott was sufficient to make it a good movie. I still question Orlando Bloom as the lead, someone more compelling would have made it very good. It's a 7.5/10 for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Castor - I think Bloom doesn't get enough recognition for his talent. Maybe it's because people are just used to seeing him as a co-starring character in Lord of the Rings and Pirates, but this being he first real starring role I though he did a really good job. The whole point of the character is someone who really transforms from a wreck of a person to someone who finds a purpose in his life, and I really couldn't see anyone else filling that role after watching this film.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...