Social Icons

Tarzan's Greatest Adventure (1959)

If there's one series I'll never understand the popularity of and definitely never find myself getting into its Tarzan.  Looking at the overwhelming number of films in the last hundred years I'm surprised that this character has had so much popularity, in terms of a fresh story it seems Tarzan films would become pretty formulaic pretty fast.  This is also one film series I never expected to see the great Sean Connery in, but before you get your hopes up Connery doesn't play Tarzan, although that would be something worth seeing.

Gordon Scott plays Tarzan, in his 5th consecutive role as the "ape man".  He's called to action when a group of British diamond hunters raid a village for supplies and end up killing two people in the process.  One of those men is Slade, a reckless and dangerous man whom Tarzan had previously encountered, this time Tarzan will stop Slade and his men for good.  I always thought of Tarzan as sort of a illiterate character, barely able to speak or understand English, but that's not the case here he's more intelligent than the men he's after! 

Sean Connery has a fairly large role as one of Slade's hired guns, O'Bannion, a rather cocky young guy who quickly underestimates Tarzan.  For such a low budget, campy film, Connery gives a good performance and manages to save the film, for me, from being completely boring.  Ultimately I felt the same way about Tarzan's Greatest Adventure as I did about Action of the Tiger (another obscure Connery role), there's simply nothing about this film that's worth it's 88 minute run-time.  As a 30-minute TV series episode it would have been great, but for a film the story is simply too thin, the characters to typical and the action sequences not all that interesting.  Overall, Tarzan's Greatest Adventure is another film that I sat through for the presence of Sean Connery, otherwise I would have turned it off about 20 minutes in when I started losing interest.  If this is Tarzan's "greatest adventure" I'd hate to see what his other adventures are like.

5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...