Social Icons

The Simpsons Movie (2007)

Originally Reviewed 
Saturday February 2, 2008

If after 19 seasons you're still watching The Simpsons then you were probably pretty psyched about the aptly titled The Simpsons Movie. But the #1 question that must be on everyone's mind is why did it take 19 seasons to bring the most popular animated series to the big screen? Well with the series quickly losing steam and viewers it seems like The Simpsons couldn't have waited much longer and it's a move that might have brought new life and interest to a stale series with the possibility of a new movie franchise.

I've never been an avid viewer of the television show (and haven't watched a new episode in about 10 years) so I went into this film pretty much expecting average, and average is what I got. The story focuses around the main characters of the series (The Simpson family) and alienates all the lovable supporting characters, who really make the show enjoyable to watch in the first place. The storyline plays out like an extended half hour episode with a basic plot that is nothing new to the series.

Spoofing the global warming craze of our decade, Homer contributes to the ever growing environmental problem in the town of Springfield and pushes the pollution so far that the federal government enacts a plan to destroy Springfield before its pollution expands to surrounding areas. Springfield is placed under a giant glass bubble and the Simpsons narrowly escape as the town attempts to lynch Homer and his family for bringing this doom upon their town. Homer is eventually deserted by his family, who can no longer put up with his selfish nature, and in the end he must redeem himself and help save his town.

The Simpsons Movie contains a storyline that easily could be compacted down into a nice two-part, half hour episode but is stretched out to an average 90 minute film which at sometimes feels way too long. While the film had it's moments, I didn't think it was overly amusing, and at times I was downright bored. The movie offers nothing new to the series except for a little PG-13 humor that might normally not be aired on the TV show, and there's a slight improvement in the animation. What disappoints me most about the film is they diminish some of the great supporting characters to cameo roles, other than Flanders (who's probably my least favorite) the rest of the characters are sorely underused and definitely effects the film, it's the wacky supporting characters that make the show great. Overall, the few die-hard fans still left out there will love this, but the rest of us who are probably surprised the show is still even airing new episodes will look at it as an average extended episode... which is truly all it is. 

7/10

4 comments:

  1. When I was a kid I used to watch the Simpsons reruns all the time after school, but like you I haven't watched it in a while.

    I caught this on TV a while back, and yeah. It was ok, about a 6 for me. There's a lot they could have done, but I hate to say it, the movie felt "safe" to me. Something I wouldn't expect from a Simpsons show which (used too anyways) push the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never an extreme fan of THE SIMPSONS, but I've always enjoyed their characters and some of the witty jokes. Nevertheless, the movie left me totally puzzled and disappointed. After so many years of waiting to make the movie, why did they choose the plot which wouldn't be good even in some of their worse TV episodes??? It didn't have any charm, any wit, it was just boring. And they didn't show enough of my favourite Pety and Selma Bouvier :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea looking back on this review, which I wrote over 2 years ago, I'm not quite sure why I didn't give the film a lower score, say a 6, but I guess I thought it was good enough to warrant an average score. My personal favorite Simpson characters are Ralph and that Professor guy who talks like Jerry Lewis. I think they got about 1 minute of screen time added together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a Simpsons fan, this movie is pretty enjoyable. I view it as a glorified episode rather than a movie. Great review nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...