Social Icons

The Gold Rush (1925)

Once again I will say how enjoyable the 1001 Movie Club has been (pat myself on the back for starting it).  Prior to beginning this club I usually strayed away from most films that were older than the 1980's.  Strangely enough I've always been a huge fan of old black and white television shows, but have never felt the same way when it comes to film.  But this club has given me the extra push I needed to explore recently unexplored eras in film that I would normally stray away from.

In terms of old films you can't get much older than the silent era, an era I've never ventured into before until recently, and while I can honestly say I don't find these films that entertaining, I can appreciate them for what they are and how they were the progressive moment of the film industry.  I chose Charlie Chaplin's The Gold Rush, for two simple reasons; one I have never actually sat down and watched an entire Chaplin film, and two The Gold Rush is not only one of the most acclaimed silent pictures of the 1920's but it's also regarded as one of the best films of all-time.  You'd be hard pressed not to find it on a critics list of the best films ever. 

It probably goes without saying Chaplin was the catalyst for the physical comedy, work that would later lead to the comedy team of Laural and Hardy and the Three Stooges.  Chaplin also didn't seem to worry about being typecast, as almost every actor does today, in fact Chaplin relied on his sole signature character of The Tramp most of his career.  Ironically most of Chaplin's most regarded work happened to be his last.  Out of the last ten films he appeared in, which range from the 1925 - 1967, four of those are on IMDb.com's Top 250, and three of them are in the Top 100.  The Gold Rush is the lowest ranked among the four, and features Chaplin as a "lone prospector" but really he's simply playing his signature role of The Tramp, which is what his character is referred to in the film.  The film surrounds Chaplin attempting to survive the rugged wilderness of Alaska at the peak of the gold rush.  He must withstand storms, hunger, and maybe most painful of all love.

The Gold Rush is a nice balanced mix of comedy, drama and romance, although comedy is the main focus and usually works it's way into the dramatic and romantic elements as well.  What make silent films like this bearable is the acting.  When there is no speech or sound it's physical style, presence and emotion that gets the message across, and it's those aspects that Chaplin was definitely the master.  While The Gold Rush hasn't turned me into a silent film fan, and I doubt I'll watch anymore of them with regularity it's hard to not recognize the achievements of this film, this essentially was top notch for 1925, and even today some of the film's special effects hold up remarkably well.  So for that, Chaplin's performance and some great scenes which include feasting on a the boot, and the shack on the edge of the cliff make The Gold Rush worth a look.

8/10

8 comments:

  1. I'm really sad I didn't have an opportunity to see this, especially being the big Chaplin fan that I am. Glad you enjoyed it though, perhaps we can grind a few more Chaplin reviews out of yah someday? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie Chaplin's movies are probably the only black and white movies I've ever liked. Although they were comedies, there was always something deeply sad in them, in him, in his facial expressions. As you know he was privately a very reserved, difficult and grumpy man, so maybe that was the reason for that sadness in the movies as well.
    I probably like THE GREAT DICTATOR and CITY LIGHTS the best.

    Here in Europe he is considered the biggest comedian of all times beside Laurel and Hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try Buster Keaton, too! Like The General. I bet you would like him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, bravo on a great pick. I had a blast watching it. This is the reason why I took part in this club - to discover great movies I might otherwise not see. And "The Gold Rush," buried way deep in the past, is exactly the kind of treasure that would be easy to miss. Too bad not more people reviewed it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Univarn - possibly, I wouldn't be totally against the thought of reviewing a couple more.

    @Dezmond - personally I love black and white TV shows, Andy Griffith, Lost In Space, Twilight Zone, The Wild Wild West. I guess I've just never given many black and white movies a watch.

    @Whitney - I have actually been meaning to watch The General for sometime, just haven't gotten around to it. It's on the club list, maybe someone will choose it next time we get to the silent era.

    @Darwin - yea maybe it being a silent film pushed some people away from watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you! Enjoying a movie that was made in 1925? Giving it an 8/10? Our little movie reviewer is growing up ;p

    In all honesty though, it's a crime not to enjoy The Gold Rush. It's just so freakin' charming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @alfindeol - well I did give Vampyr a 6/10 so giving this an 8/10 was really a no brainer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish TCM would have Charlie Chaplin movies more often. I very rarely see those on that channel :(

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...