Social Icons

Naked Lunch (1991)

First off I'd like to state that I fault no one for avoiding this week's selection. This will probably be one of those films the movie club won't receive many submissions on, and that's quite alright.  To those few of you who actually did sit through this, and understandably hated it, I'm torn between regard for your patience and endurance or total amusement that you would actually sit through this pile of roach excrement.  Personally I have no bones about writing a review for a film I didn't entirely sit through.  Sometimes a film is simply so awful that you really don't need to waste two hours of your life to have the right to say it, that's the case with Naked Lunch

Every so often a film comes along that is simply a crime against mankind, that film is Naked Lunch.  They said it was a book that couldn't be made into a movie, frankly it's a book that never should have been written, and definitely not a film that should be list on the 1001 Movies You Should See Before You Die list.  To try and explain Naked Lunch would be pointless.  First off I really don't care what it all meant, if there was even meaning in the film to begin with, and second I really don't think many of you would care because I believe the audience for this is probably so small that spending my time attempting to explain or summarizing it all would probably take more time than what I allowed myself to sit through in watching this.

From what little I have read, Naked Lunch is actually not an adaptation of the book but more so a loose interpretation of the life of William S. Burrough's state of mind (or lack there of) as he wrote the book in his drug induced stooper.  As you all know from my reviews of Requiem For A Dream and Magnolia, I'm a hard one to please when it comes to films about society's rejects, people who are content to sluff off their live's with drugs and other narcotics, and Naked Lunch is simply that type of film take to another dimension of insanity.

I also simply didn't like Naked Lunch because it was a bizarrely twisted film that not only is poorly written and thrown together, but also ultimately quite meaningless in the mind of any sane human being.  I assume I'm supposed to find some entertainment in the mind of obviously insane William Burrough, a guy who probably was high on roach poison to warrant a film that chronicles part of his life like this!  If nothing else the writer of 1001 Movies must have been shooting up some yellow dust into his veins to think that this film would be interesting to anyone outside a very narrow and possibly disturbed niche. 

0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...