Social Icons

Stay (2005)

Originally Written 
Sunday, April 2, 2006

Stay is quite possibly one of the most mind boggling films I have ever seen to date, and what’s amazing is the fact that I enjoyed it so much. Very similar to the recent film The Jacket with Keira Knightly, Stay has a truly bizarre story-line and a mind boggling explanation.
 

Sam Foster (Ewan McGregor) is a psychiatrist in New York, filling in for a colleague who’s on personal leave. Upon subbing Sam is introduced to Henry Lethem (Ryan Gosling), a troubled young artist who claims to be able to predict future events, hear voices in his head and has some enormous guilt linked to the death of his parents. Henry begins to confide in Sam and proclaims to him that he plans to commit suicide Saturday at midnight. This confession tremendously troubles Sam, especially since someone close to him, Lila (Naomi Watts) his girlfriend, also attempted to end her life and one point.

Sam begins to try and unravel the mystery that is Henry and figure out why he would want to end his life, and in the process arrive at a solution that would help to prevent this event from occurring. Lila attempts to be a source of support and also extends some useful information in regards to delving into the mind of this tortured man. But things begin to grow worse when Sam finds himself being pulled into Henry's delusions, as he begins reliving moments in time and has conversations with people who are dead. Now Sam begins to fear for his own sanity as he sees his life becoming a mirror of Henry's. The passage of time now becomes more precious as Sam must prevent Henry from dying before the answers to what is real and what is not die with him.

Stay is not a movie for those you don't have the patience to sit through a very tediously confusing and twisting film.  Like eating ice cream too fast, you'll literally have a brain freeze trying to follow along and figure out what is going on in a single viewing. Those of you who enjoy a challenge will definitely find one here as the film is littered with symbolism, from the characters themselves to the clothing they're wearing. A few things that stuck in my mind while watching this film were the fact that Sam's pants were way too short, and then the scene at the art school where there were multiple groups of three people who looked exactly alike, all ended up being symbols of something.

What I like most about Stay is it causes you to really get into the story in an attempt to figure out what is happening, laying forth multiple scenarios of what may actually be fact. While at times this causes the story to to drag a bit, I still found myself glued to the screen, so utterly confused that I really wanted to know what everything ultimately lead to. This is one of those situations were there is a tremendous difference between simply being confused because the story is so badly written or all over the place and then being confused because that's the point of the film. Stay portrays the latter very well, it's a puzzle that's been scattered before you and slowly piecing itself back together. As you watch this film you begin to get a feeling of what Sam is experiencing as he is trying to unravel the mystery that is set before him.

The film's final revelation may not be completely surprising, even though it only seems to add more mystery to the story, at least for me it did, it reveals the outer layer and leaves a lot of the deeper plot in dim light causing you to continue to unravel and replay the film in your mind again. In my case I was still pretty much baffled by it all and immediately did some web searching to find out what it all meant. After reading some other viewers interpretation of the film the pieces of the puzzle began to fall together into a picture that is quite obvious when it's laid out in front of you.
 
Overall, Stay is magnificently crafted, the filming angles and the editing all offer a surreal experience of someones struggle to determine between the real and the delusional. Great performances by McGregor, Gosling and Watts, who portray their roles brilliantly, adding to the film's atmosphere and suspense. The story in so intricately weaved that the whole purpose of the film is for the viewer to discover the meaning. I wasn't expecting this from the trailer from which I gathered the film to be some sort of strange thriller.  I never expected this kind of mind boggling experience, so the trailer doesn't do the film justice. The mediocre trailer combined with literally no publicity is the reason most have never heard of this film. 


In the end, Stay is a very good film, incredibly unique, very interesting, and a veritable mind bender. Again I have to say this isn't one of the typical films you watch for pure enjoyment, Stay will make you think and rack your brain trying to make sense of it all, only watch this film if your willing to do that otherwise you will find it confusing to the point of boredom. If you liked The Jacket, another highly underrated mind bending film, then you'll definitely be put to the test with Stay which promises a steady exercise for the brain.

8/10


10 comments:

  1. STAY has managed to stay in my mind as well :) But there is a huge problem with this movie, although Ewan and Ryan gave impressive performances (Ryan especially), while Naomi was just playing cold and impassive as usually like her best friend Nicole, I thought the director was the weakest link. He just didn't have a sense of direction and didn't know how to really use that confusing plot which needed little something something to give it some deeper sense. I'd give it 6/10

    PS I must admit I hate this new comment layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was some other film I liked that you had a beef with the director and therefore had a lower score for, I don't remember what that was off the top of my head.

    As for the comment layout, it's something you have to get used to. Personally I find it a lot more useful than Blogger's rather old fashion system. At least with this I can reply to individual posts instead of replying to a bunch of people in one comment. It will grow on you, I not the only person using this a lot of people are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes another Naomi Watts film... maybe you secretly just don't like Naomi Watts? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, it's an open dislike :)) I hated KING KONG and RING too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah!!! You're killing me... I love The Ring, one of my favorite horror films. I like King Kong too, but don't love it. So I don't think it's the directors, deep down you don't like Watts, that at least makes more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. but it is strange, though, since I'm famous for adoring and loving all that Australia has to give us, 90% of my favourite actors and actresses are from Down Under :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, well I feel sort of the same about Nicole Kidman. I like quite a few of her films but I really don't care much for her as an actress. The movies I like that she's in I like because of the movie itself, not her performance. Something about her turns me off, don't know exactly what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. By the way are you familiar with as Aussie actress named Yvonne Strahovski? She's my new Aussie obsession. She's done a few Australian films but is mainly known for her role on the NBC series CHUCK. Check her out, she's got it all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never heard of Yvonne Strahovski, I shall "chuck" her out as soon as possible :))

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...