Social Icons

Bond Secret File #20 - Die Another Day

Introduction: 7/10
Die Another Day continues to build on what seems to be a pattern in the Brosnan films where every introduction consists of a rather lengthy chase scene. From motorcycle, jet, speed boat to now a hovercraft, if you can say anything it's that these films aim to please from the opening minutes. Unfortunately the horrible CGI, hindered me from truly enjoying this introduction to its fullest. Besides a chase scene is a chase scene no matter what vehicle you’re riding on! 


 
Title Song: 8/10
I'm not a fan of Madonna, but I quite enjoyed her theme song to this film. It adds a little bit of dance/techo vibe which is different from past Bond title songs but it still manages to retain that ambiance that makes a great Bond song. Die Another Day is performed by Madonna.

I'm gonna wake up, yes and no. I'm gonna kiss some part of. I'm gonna keep this secret. I'm gonna close my body now. I guess, die another day. I guess, die another day. I guess, die another day. I guess, die another day. I guess I'll die another day (Another day) I guess I'll die another day (Another day) I guess I'll die another day (Another day) I guess I'll die another day. Sigmund Freud.

Analyze this. Analyze this. Analyze this. I'm gonna break the cycle. I'm gonna shake up the system. I'm gonna destroy my ego. I'm gonna close my body now.

I think I'll find another way. There's so much more to know. I guess I'll die another day. It's not my time to go. For every sin, I'll have to pay. I've come to work, I've come to play. I think I'll find another way. It's not my time to go.

I'm gonna avoid the cliché. I'm gonna suspend my senses. I'm gonna delay my pleasure. I'm gonna close my body now.

I guess, die another day. I guess I'll die another day. I guess, die another day. I guess I'll die another day

I think I'll find another way. There's so much more to know. I guess I'll die another day. It's not my time to go.

I need to lay down.

I guess, die another day. I guess I'll die another day. I guess, die another day. I guess I'll die another day

Another day. Another day. Another day. Another day. Another day. Another day. Another day.


 
Bond: 7/10
The World Is Not Enough was Brosnan's high, in my opinion; this time around Bond doesn't do much to impress. It's a performance that is good but when it's all said and done you really don't remember it at all, too bad Brosnan didn't go out with a bang! 
 
Bond Girls:
 
Giacinta 'Jinx' Johnson: 5/10
Working for the NSA Jinx teams up with Bond on a mission to go after Zao. Jinx probably takes the least amount of time out of any Bond girl in the franchises history to get Bond into bed. In fact it's so fast that the whole thing is completely unbelievable even for a Bond film. Halle Berry as a Bond girl might sound like a great idea, and it might look like a good idea on a poster, but when you put Halle Berry (an extremely mediocre actress to begin with) in a role like a Bond girl (who have never been known for having great lines) look out! Sure Halle Berry is drop dead gorgeous in her orange bikini attempting to be Ursula Andress, but once she opens her mouth she has the gift of making bad lines sound even worse. Word of advice, when picking a Bond girl; pick someone who can at least act their way out of a paper bag! Had she played a mute, it would have been bearable.

 
Miranda Frost: 8/10
A true Bond's, Bond girl, Miranda Frost leads you to believe one thing and then sticks a knife in your back and leaves you to die. At the beginning of the film she appears to be the publicist of Graves and then later turns out to be an MI6 agent working undercover, but she's still got a few more surprises up her sleeve! Frost by far beats the pants of Halle Berry in terms of acting and is a nice addition to the lesser of the Bond girls. Unfortunately her character really isn't anything new as she's very similar to Electra King in The World Is Not Enough, still she's a breath of fresh air after a dose of Halle, too bad she doesn't whip Halle Berry's butt in the end!

The Villains:
 
Sir Gustav Graves: 7/10
A British diamond mine mogul who seemed to appear out of nowhere. Bond happens upon Graves while on his search for Zao, seems to be a connection that links the two of them together. In checking on Graves further Bond discovers something quite disturbing. It appears there’s a good reason for no clear record of Graves past... he was someone else, someone Bond thought he'd already killed. Now he must attempt to finish the job before Graves puts his weapon, Icarus, into motion and begins a national takeover! A descent villain, Graves menacing facial expressions soon become so extremely corny that it definitely hurts the film.

 
Zao: 7/10
The right hand man of Graves. Zao was traded for the release of Bond, and Bond vows to capture Zao, dead or alive, for the murder of a number of Chinese agents. In the beginning of the film Zao is caught in a diamond explosion which lodges diamonds in his face, is it remotely possible? No, but it definitely makes Zao one of the most unique villains of the Bond franchise, but still he's quite the average right hand villain.


Total Rating : 7/10
Overall (Including Film Rating) : 7/10
7/10

4 comments:

  1. I must admit I hated Madonna's song (probably because I hate everything she stands for) and I think it could be the worse one in 007 serial.
    I've always thought of these movies as glamorous action spectacle with creative visuals and the smell of luxury in the air. With her appalling song and utterly creepy video, Madonna just doesn't fit in all of that. She ruined it for me totally. And I can't really believe she used 007 for a bit of self-promotion through being creepy and sleazy again as she always does. 007 should have been above that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally don't like Madonna either, or her music, but I didn't think this song was bad, had a good beat to it and went well with the intro credits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might be crazy, but that Zao guy surely is the most attractive villain ever from 007, there's something magnetic in those weird icy looks of his :) Who's the actor?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be crazy, but that Zao guy surely is the most attractive villain ever from 007, there's something magnetic in those weird icy looks of his :) Who's the actor?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2008-2016. All posts & reviews are property of CommonSenseMovieReviews and should not be reproduced in whole, or in part, without express permission from the author.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...